Friday, June 5, 2009

Dreams (The Kind That Accompany REM Sleep)

Hello magic groupies, how are you all today? I am well, thank you for e-asking.

Today we are going to talk about dreams. I have done this before, in fact, dear readers, the very first taste of Magic you all received was just a simple little description of some dreams that had recently played in my mind theatre. (I think it's an AMC).

But today, my friends, we are going to discuss a different kind of dream, are we excited? (Yes!)

This kind of dream is called a recurring dream, and I've been having three different ones!

Here, I will describe them.

The first type started occurring shortly after my beloved childhood dog, Piha, died. In these dreams I bomb around with a dog. They are generally pretty uneventful. Usually just me taking a walk with a dog. Usually it's a Boston Terrier, sometimes it's Piha, other times it's some future dog that my parents have not yet bought.

Normally these dreams are good, because, as we have documented several times, dogs make me happy.

Other times they take a turn for the tragic, and the dog I am walking will run away and be struck by a car. But whenever the dog getting hit by a car dreams happen, the dog either changes from a Boston Terrier to a German Shepherd or was a German Shepherd all along.

According to The Google, "Pay attention to dreams about dogs, as they often bring important messages. Dog dreams that are positive mean that the dreamer is lucky in friendship. A threatening dog signifies discomfort with large social groups."

So apparently, sometimes I have good relationships with my friends, and others, the relationships are threatened?

I think I probably just miss my dog, and wish that Chopdick had died instead of her.

My second dream is fairly common. I will be tooling around some mountain pass or other high thing, and suddenly, the ground will release me and I will fall for a bit, and then of course you realize, "Hey, I'm dreaming," and then you wake up. UNLESS YOU HAVE MASTERED WAKING LIFE!!! But, I haven't, so I just wake up.

MORE GOOGLE INSIGHT!!!

"As with most common dream themes, falling is an indication of insecurities, instabilities, and anxieties. You are feeling overwhelmed and out of control in some situation in your waking life. This may reflect the way you feel in your relationship or in your work environment. You have lost your foothold and can not hang on or keep up with the hustle and bustle of daily life"

I don't know about this one, I feel pretty in control most of the time, if a bit annoyed about how scheduled my life is.

"Falling dreams also often reflect a sense of failure or inferiority in some circumstance or situation. It may be the fear of failing in your job/school, loss of status, or failure in love."

This one makes a little more sense, as they tend to correspond with Magic Blog posts. Maybe they'll stop happening now?

"According to Freudian theory, dreams of falling indicate that you are contemplating giving into a sexual urge or impulse. You maybe lacking indiscretion."

My already tenuous relationship with Freud has just gotten worse with this "interpretation," God knows I'm not in any position to give into any urge, I can't even get kisses with tongue!

My other dream is probably the most unusual.

I always dream that I am preternaturally good at ice hockey. This dream has no basis in fact. After my years in CO, I am an okay ice skater, but i've never actually played hockey in my life. Yet, often enough, I dream that I am taking people part on the ice, either with my brother (who played roller hockey and is also good in the dream) or with a bunch of people who aren't as good as me. Let's consult Google.

First, we'll tackle the times when I am just skating alone. In a section the "dream dictionary" calls "Playing Sports - Individually."

"You may feel responsibility for your own success or satisfaction. Many times, entertaining ourselves stems from being neglected by others, so we dream of playing alone and enjoying ourselves in spite of them. Other times, it is a product of distancing ourselves from others, even if perhaps they would want us to play in the group."

If we follow this interpretation maybe I just feel isolated, possibly from dwelling on and then executing my move back to my parents, as well as my eventual move to Austin. The website also has handy feedback questions.

The website asks, "Do you feel a sense of loneliness or comfort in the dream?"

Well dream page, as a matter of fact, I enjoy these dreams a lot. I like to effortlessly slide on the ice and whack stuff around with an aluminum stick.

Now we will address the part of the site that says "Playing Sports - With Others."

"Dreaming of playing with others can be a symptom of your need to enhance your interpersonal communication skills. It can also inform you of the possibility that you have been neglecting communion with others, and that you need to seek more camaraderie in your life."

This is bullcrap dream website. I have lots of friends and I communicate excellently. I think that maybe the webpage is jealous of my human emotions and the ability to feel, and that's why he is trying to bring me down.

Also his question is, "Is the game being played for fun or competition?"

In my dream state, it's always just for fun, it also always has both genders represented, in more of a pick up game type atmosphere. This also makes me the star of the dream, because, as I said earlier, I am the best player out there.

Maybe this is just my brain letting me enjoy what it feels like to be the best player, because there is never a situation where I am playing a team sport and I'm the best person out there. Maybe that's why it picked hockey, because I won't be able to say to my dream self, "Hey, you're not better than that person in basketball, you've played them before."

I suppose it doesn't really matter.

There are some dreams beloved readers. I hope you enjoy reading about them (slash) interpreting them, and always remember, if you dream about falling, wake up before you hit the ground, or you will die in your sleep!

2 comments:

Bryce said...

Maybe Gordon Bombay could show up and teach you the "triple-deke" and then you could win the championship...

david hutchens said...

is the german shepherd chopdick