Sunday, June 28, 2009

Magic Back (After A Magic Mini Hiatus)

I have returned internet.

My life has not been particularly eventful recently, I have been a peripheral character in my friends' stories for the past few weeks, which is pretty alright with me.

I have not blogged in several weeks; if asked, I could not provide a reason. Perhaps, subconsciously, I felt that the Writing Monster post sort of bookended a year of thoughts. You know what I mean readers, a real year (January 1-December 31), just doesn't adequately fulfill the mind's need to cut up life into twelve month blocks. So, at least while i am young, the year is more usefully divided between beginnings and endings of school.

I don't know how this works in the future, once one is employed year round. Maybe anniversaries, or children's birthdays, or perhaps the Gregorian (that's what my last name is) calender reclaims its rightful place as the king of the time-keepers (grandfather clocks are the princes, metronomes are the serfs, the sundials were all killed in the people's revolution).

Regardless, in addition to be conveniently timed with a mind year, that entry also sort of finished up the Blog's mission to try to make claire fall in love with me.

A mission it did not succeed in, but, to be fair, it's probably not entirely Mr. Blog's fault. He performed well, always posting my entries, with limited spacing issues. The fault lies with me. (Any songwriters who want to make that the name of a gentle acoustic lullaby are welcome to, with proper attribution).

So for the next monthish, we're in a bit of a limbo, as not a whole lot will be happening. KMB's one year anniversary is July 23rd, which might herald a rebirth.

I have to find a new story. I've spent a year telling one, and never even got around to finishing it, but it doesn't feel necessary anymore. I think i'm a little more mature and not as insecure and i'm learning how to not be lonely.

Michael Jackon died the other day.

This is relevant to me.

When I first lived in Lubbock, as little child, I had a VHS tape. On this tape were several popular music videos with equally popular cartoon characters superimposed into the videos. These cartoons would dance, lipsync, and generally cavort with the singers in the videos. I had a favorite video. In this video, Alvin, (of Alvin and the Chipmunks) donned a red jacket, some shades, and a sparkly right glove, and proceeded to dance around on pool tables with Michael Jackson to Beat It.

I thought it was cool.

I wasn't aware of who Michael had become (creepy ghoul, possible pedo, child endangerer). So whenever anyone mentioned Michael Jackson, I would associate it with a young black dude wearing a snazzy glove, singing a catchy song (with an animated rodent), and an eddie van halen guitar solo.

UPDATE THE VIDEO EXISTS ON YOUTUBE, it also has Smooth Criminal. Apparently Mike wasn't rocking the glove, and my memory has been tainted. Memories

I was too young to pick up on the cheesiness, which is kind of endearing to me now; I identify with Dave Chappelle's sentiment that, whatever you think of Michael, he really did want to be loved, he turned himself into a white alien creature because he thought people would like him more. It's a pretty tragic tale.

I could write a pretty lengthy tale about how MJ is the modern Oedipus (father issues, undisputed ruler, disturbing pecadillos, and a catastrophic self destruction) but it's too soon after the fact to not feel dishonest.

Anyway, this exposition all to say that, Michael Jackson is important to me because he was the first artist I ever identified as my "favorite" and Beat It was my first favorite song.

Keep in mind, it was 1996 when I was making these claims, well into his crazy stage. And I remember riding in the car with my friend Chris' mom, listening to the radio, and she asked me who my favorite singer was. Not thinking anything of it, I replied, "Michael Jackson." She gave me a very strange look. "Really, you know he's weird right?" I didn't know he was weird, but after she said that I didn't really watch the Beat It tape anymore.

I don't like lists, but I feel like doing a list.

A List of Kyle's First Favorites (Excluding Song and Artist, As They Have Been Covered)


Book - Goodnight, Moon (my mother and father would read this to me all the time before bed, it used to make me feel safe and happy)

Movie - Dumbo (foreshadowing my future insecurities about myself?)

Halloween Costume - Pinocchio (much like Tim Kasher, I was pretty captivated by the tale of the wooden boy)

Allow me to explain why Pinocchio is brilliant.

Pinocchio is a story about what it means to be human. It tells that universal tale of self discovery, and doesn't skip over the hard parts (being turned into a donkey, eaten by Monstro), and it has a happy ending.

It's also a Creation allegory, and the story of the prodigal son; with songs!

Pinocchio is the best movie for children to love. You learn early not to lie, not to run away, to trust your conscience, and most importantly that you have a Father that loves you unconditionally.

I have thought about getting the album cover of Is A Real Boy tattooed on my foot one day. This is a good tattoo because, not only do i love that album, but because it is also Pinocchio's nose.

It also let Tim Kasher write Driftwood: A Fairy Tale, one of my favorite songs ever, so I feel like it is a good thing for me to love.

My mom still has my Pinocchio costume in her closet, tiny red overalls, white shirt, little felt hat, and a rubber nose.

Readers, I am happy to be writing, but I am out of practice and tired. I feel like I will cut this entry off now, maybe soon inspiration will strike and I can write an entry that makes me stay up all night sweating and whispering to myself about how brilliant I am, but tonight will not be that night.

Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.

2 comments:

david hutchens said...

you did good at low tonight buddy.
by the way.....jungle book is the best movie because the king louis wanting to be like man and losing his individuality.......what happens to louis? his crazy temple/house gets knocked down. also its clear that david sweeney is bagheera

linley said...

Glad to see you're back at it! Great commentary on Pinocchio... I feel compelled to watch it again.