Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tonight I Write (Words and Sentences)

Hello world (the little slice of it that visits my corner of internet that I am renting from the benevolent proprietors of blogger.com, which i believe is the mighty google) I have decided to return to the Magic Blog; I apologize for my prolonged absence.

I haven't really been ruminating on anything to talk about recently. My life has been remarkably stable and predictable. I wake up every morning at 7:15am. I take a shower. I get dressed (just shorts). I drink orange juice from the carton and instant breakfast from a glass. I always stir it with a little spoon, because using a big one is superfluous. I put on a shirt, then i take it off, then i debate whether it will get too sweaty over the course of the day. Usually, I convince myself that it won't, but eventually it does. I pack up my computer, cord in the front of my backpack so it doesn't make a weird shape on my back, the actual laptop sequestered in a neoprene case.

Then I go outside. The annoying mockingbird squawks at me, and I think maybe Atticus got it wrong. I get in my car, slinging my backpack into the passenger seat. (WORLD! if you will allow me to get a little fanboy, Max Bemis posted a song from Baseball on youtube, this is marvelous news!). Then I start my car, usually, i see the "low fuel" light and get a little annoyed thinking about going to the gas station and putting in $10. Then my ears are assaulted again by my ipod adapter waiting a few seconds to intercept the magical sound wave it uses to give me music. (fm 93.2). Then a few seconds of fumbling with morning hands and I'm pulling out with This American Life or The BS Report or The Bugle, or later in the week, shuffle, accompanying my ears.

Left, Right, Left, Right, weaving through the border between half built suburbs and half diminished prairie, rolling through stops like a common criminal. Then down a dirt road, bumping and rattling, assuring myself that eventually i'll take better care of my car. Then down the newly constructed loop, getting angry at New Mexican drivers and those who don't understand it's a freeway. Slumping in annoyance at the ill-timed lights on campus. Parking under a shady tree if I'm lucky and grabbing my bag and ipod and strolling inside.

I clock in, always eight minutes late, go upstairs and grab the ticket selling machine (old dell laptop) and return to my post. I put on my poorly knit work polo and set up my laptop and the school's laptop. I check my blogs, trying to hold off on world of warcraft or watching tv shows because i feel that the time passes faster that way.

I do weird stuff like that sometimes. Every once in a while I give myself weird little endurance tests. Like how many days can I go with only five or so hours of sleep. How many days can I go with just sleeping and not eating except when my mom makes dinner. Or even stupid things, like, how long can I go with an irritating rock in my shoe. On saturdays, I refuse to get up out of bed and use the restroom, instead, just being uncomfortable for about a half hour before i realize how stupid I am.

I don't know why I do those things. Maybe it's the aforementioned doldrums of my life. In high school there were all sorts of ways to push myself, be it academically or in baseball. And in college I pretty much focused on getting As, kind of transferring the energy that used to go to athletics toward academics.

In the summer there's not so much to do.

After work, I come home and nap. I wake up around six. If my mom makes dinner, I eat with my family. If they are at tennis or something, I take a shower, drink some orange juice, and then repeat my morning routine. I text someone and go to where they are, getting food at some point.

Then I come home and sit in my bed, propped up by pillows and a headboard, I talk to people on facebook and check other blogs. (Sometimes the MB for comments, futiley).

Then I go to sleep and it happens again, but dreams happen in between.

4 comments:

Bryce said...

I am glad to see some else that has an interesting life. I bet a lot of people have these same type of experiences, almost as if we are just going through the motions. For me its I wake up, then I can't wait to get to work because work = money, then at work I can't wait to get off work because work is annoying and after work I can either read or hang out with friends. Then the next day is the same all over again. I guess its kind of the life of an average college student.

lindsey said...

in a polo poorly knit?
i love bby :)

linley said...

I feel the exact same way about my summer schedule. Well written.

Unknown said...

kyle, you're my greatest roll model evar!
so fluffy and warm. c: